Hey, hey, hey and welcome back to a brand new week and a brand new book. I’m still struggling getting over an Illuminae Files draught but what better way to move on than with my next book!
My book this week is…
Warcross by Marie Lu!
I had seen a lot of bloggers talking about this book because the second one came out recently I think. I saw this at my library and as soon as I saw the BEAUTIFUL cover I had to have it. Well, I wa in for a treat when I went home and took the dust jacket off! Look at this thing! Look at how wondrous it is!
picture of book without dust jacket
- First impressions are that wow, I love this book. I don’t even know what it’s like on the inside but I would sure buy it just to stare at it all day!
- Marie Lu was involved with the Illuminae Files which I adored so I think that’s a pretty good segue for me to be introduced to her writing!
- The blurb sounds exactly like the sort of thing that I like so I’m looking forward to what the actual plot is…
For the millions who log in every day, Warcross isn’t just a game—it’s a way of life. The obsession started ten years ago and its fan base now spans the globe, some eager to escape from reality and others hoping to make a profit. Struggling to make ends meet, teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty hunter, tracking down players who bet on the game illegally. But the bounty hunting world is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy. Needing to make some quick cash, Emika takes a risk and hacks into the opening game of the international Warcross Championships—only to accidentally glitch herself into the action and become an overnight sensation.
Convinced she’s going to be arrested, Emika is shocked when instead she gets a call from the game’s creator, the elusive young billionaire Hideo Tanaka, with an irresistible offer. He needs a spy on the inside of this year’s tournament in order to uncover a security problem . . . and he wants Emika for the job. With no time to lose, Emika’s whisked off to Tokyo and thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she’s only dreamed of. But soon her investigation uncovers a sinister plot, with major consequences for the entire Warcross empire.
- I’ve seen a lot of bloggers give this book a lot of attention so I feel like Ic an only expect good things!
- I’ve also read that people say that this is basically a better version of Ready Player One and that used to be my favourite book (before being knocked off it’s feet by Illuminae) so this comparison excites me rather a lot!
- In addition, I’ve heard nothing but good things about Lu as a writer so I expect the writing to be solid and after Illuminae my expectations of storytelling are very high.
Overall, I’ve been waiting a while to read this book and I’ve been eyeing it up for a few weeks so I’m excited to finally get into it. The story has me sold because the plot is right up my street. The dystopian future themes, the virtual reality game thing, it all has me very excited and I can’t wait to see what it’s all about!
Thank you for reading! Have you read Warcross? Did you like it? Do you think I’ll like it? Let me know your thoughts in the comments!
Till next time,
love, bella x